Thursday, September 30, 2010

What are your favorite books and why?




A writer e-mailed me to ask, "What are your favorite books and why?"

Holy cow, what a huge question.

Since I don't have time to spend hours writing this blog post, and since you probably don't care to read my entire answer, I'm going to talk about my three current faves as succinctly as I can:

My three current faves:

My general fiction pick is The Passion of Mary-Margaret by Lisa Samson. This book challenged me not only as a Christian, but as a writer. For starters, the story is unique - Mary-Margaret is a girl dreaming of being a religious sister, and then Jesus asks her to marry a diseased male prostitute. And a story like this in the hands of someone as skilled as Lisa Samson ... the results are breathtaking. I adore this book.







My YA pick is This Lullaby by Sarah Dessen

Oh my gosh, I could read this book a thousand times. The narrator is delightful. Remy's a mess of a girl who thinks she can control everything, even who she falls in love with. And Dexter, her boyfriend, just leaps off the page. Dessen has released four or five books since This Lullaby, but this remains my favorite. An excellent study in what "quiet" YA fiction can be.




My classic pick is (no surprise here) Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. We didn't read P&P in my high school, which is a little weird. My English teacher preferred the Bronte sisters, so we studied them instead. I "discovered" Miss Austen several years after I'd graduated. I picked up P&P at a book sale for 25-cents. Some of the best money I ever spent. Miss Austen is a master of complex plots and beautiful, witty dialogue. P&P is my favorite, then Sense and Sensibility, Emma, and Mansfield Park are all tied for second.





So. What are your favorite books and why?

Got a question to ask? Shoot me an e-mail.

10 comments:

  1. I so wouldn't know where to begin. I agree with yours--well, I've never read This Lulluby, but the other two are on my list. So is A PASSION MOST PURE. And A DISTANT MELODY. And THE SILENT GOVERNESS. And a certain unpublished book about a girl named Gabby by a certain Stephanie Morrill. ;-) And Francine Rivers stuff--all of it, LOL.

    Um . . . I'll stop. Otherwise the comment will be longer than your post. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved all those as well. There's just SO many good ones to choose from.

    My mom's reading Sarah Sundin's latest, A Memory Between Us, and then it'll be my turn. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's on my shelf, but I have a HEWN book I have to read first. Le sigh. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow, this is hard. Oh-kay, I'll just do three like you :)

    1. Ruby's Slippers
    2. In Your Dreams
    3. Heidi

    Rach :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rachel, I don't think I've read any of those! I'll have to add them to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! :) I am a new follower of your blog! I recently discovered it through the interview over at Girlz 4 God. Your books look very interesting, and I plan to read them very soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. P&P made me laugh more, but Wuthering Heights is just SO well written. I think Dee Henderson is a genius and will never forget The O'Mally Chronicles, my list goes #1-Wuthering Heights #2- P&P and #3- The O'Mally Chronicles book 3 The Truth Seeker.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The first book you listed really caught my attention Stephanie, is it pretty good?
    I've been looking for new book ideas to buy and read. I've read all my books.
    I'm going to go and buy this new book that came on on September 7th called "Firelight" by Sophie Jordan. Its about the descendents of dragons I guess, they are called Draki and it's a romance I believe, revolving around a girl named Jacinda (a Draki) and a Draki hunter Will.
    So is that first book that you listed any good? Do you have any other suggestions for books besides those 3?
    I know your books that you've written about Skylar are on my list to get.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you, Shelley. Welcome!

    Bebs, I love Wuthering Heights too! It was my favorite in high school. Probably about time to reread...

    I have a Dee Henderson book on my shelf. I'll have to bump it up on the pile.

    Jazmine, it's VERY good. And unique. Totally worth all the praise it receives.

    I haven't heard of Sophie Jordan. I'll have to check her out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sophie Jordan is actually pretty good at writing shockingly.
    I thought it wasn't going to be very good, but she has a very unique writing style.
    Hmmm... how do I describe it?
    Well I guess her writing style is like its happening as you read on.... maybe... lol
    Sophie Jordan is also known as another name in something called "Paranormal Romance", its Sharie Kohler I believe.
    But yeah Firelight is pretty good surprisingly. :) Its still throwing me off from the odd writing style but its still good.

    ReplyDelete

Disagreement is welcome. Rudeness is not. Please be considerate of each other!