I just finished making a really dorky Excel spreadsheet with all our ideas, and here's what we've got so far:
In regards to names for Gabby's fella, the name Rafe came up most consistently, so let's go wtih that. And Rafe needs a last name as well. Those suggested were: Gray, Greyson, or Geary. (Some comments have been e-mailed to me rather than posted on the board, which is totally fine for you shy types.)
For a plot, we had a variety of ideas, but they fall under two umbrellas:
1. A speculative fiction/fantasy/supernatural kind of thing:
- Gabrielle has some sort of supernatural gift, which is a nice idea because Gabby in real life is pretty ordinary. If you have thoughts on what her gift could be, please post them!
- Gabrielle is an angel detective and she helps people solve their problems. (Without them knowing they're receiving divine intervention, maybe?) And she ends up bonding with Rafe (angel or human? That was kind of up in the air) when they team up to fight some kind of battle.
- A comic book like story where the world is very black and white, good triumphs evil every time, and there's lots of action. Gabrielle's sidekick would be Raquel, and they swoop in to safe Rafe, who'd forget all about Raquel and fall for Gabrielle. (Sounds like a smart guy.) This suggestion came with the full package. The suggested title was: As it should be. The suggested final line was: "and all was returned as it should be," and the opening line was, "A familiar twinge prickled at my hand and made my fingers restless. It was go time." Very fun stuff.
2. A quieter kind of story, possibly combined with a fairytale element.
- Gabby's book is written in diary form (think Princess Diaries, maybe?) She's changed the names of all her frenemies/family members/etc. but Gabrielle-the-heroine is going through many of the same circumstances as Gabby-the-person. Or, in that same vein, she's writing the life she wishes were hers and realizes in her writing that popularity isn't worth the price.
- Gabrielle is the chosen heiress to some fabulous kingdom. Rafe is her champion (which I like, because in her real life, the guy's too hardheaded to claim her in public), and three witches are trying to usurp her kingdom.
- For a historical novel, Gabby's writing what happens in her life, but in a different time period. I like this idea combined with a couple of others we've had. Maybe set it in medieval times, and Gabby could be writing her own personal fairy tale. She could either be the Princess, like was suggested up above, or she could be a peasant girl with a thing for the prince, and Rafe is her best friend with a massive crush on her. And then at the end she would learn she's of noble blood.
Alright, hopefully I didn't miss anybody's suggestions. If I did, please let me know, because it was completely unintentional.
We're still brainstorming, so if you have plot ideas separate from what's posted above, please feel free to share them! If you want to vote for one of the ideas, or if you have a thought for how to tweak or expand something, share that as well!
Once we nail down our plot, we'll talk title and first line.
I'm having a blast, guys! Makes me want to build a bigger office and move you all in here!