Thursday, November 11, 2010

Write Your Book This Year

Or next year, I should say.

So here's the idea I had, guys, and you can tell me what you think.

For 2011, I was thinking about going through the whole story writing process. Like in January we'll start with gathering inspiration,then move onto brainstorming, then plotting, etc. And by the time we get to December, we'll have gone through the whole process of writing a book.

Does that sound like fun? Is there any particular part of the process you'd really like for me to hit?

In the meantime, I have an opportunity to pass along to you guys. I spoke to the editor of Starsongs magazine, and they are looking for submissions. The editor said, "We plan to have our next issue of Starsongs out early next month. I could use a couple of Christmas/winter themed stories, poems, or essays before we go to press. I am attaching a copy of our guidelines."

Here are their guidelines:

Starsongs Magazine is a publication of Written World Communications

You are the future, and Starsongs wants to hear your voice. Our intention is to inspire
and promote the creativity of youth. Starsongs is a general market magazine interested
in work by writers, artists, and photographers age 9-19. Please keep this age range
in mind and keep your work at a PG rating level. We are open to fiction or non-fiction
and “as told to” stories.

We are looking for short stories, essays, poetry, artwork, and photography that reflect
your view of your life experiences. Relationships to family, friends, role models,
thoughts about current events, situations that you as young people face today and how
you solve your dilemma are some suggested topics.

Starsongs is a small publication with limited space. Therefore, short stories are
restricted to 1500-2000 words, essays 250-500 words. Poetry should not exceed 24-
32 lines per poem. Text can be sent as an attachment or in the body of the email in the
way you would like to see the work formatted on the page. Photography/artwork should
be submitted as an attachment in jpeg format. All submissions must be original work.

We are also interested in an adult guest columnist in every issue to discuss writing in a friendly,
how to format for young people. If you like to mentor youth through writing, please contact me
at starsongs.mag@gmail.com with “ Starsongs Columnist” in the subject line.

Payment ranges between $5 – $25 per piece depending on length and type of
submission.

We retain the right to edit written submissions for grammar, brevity, and clarity of
language. We will send you the suggested changes prior to publication.

Please allow 6-8 weeks for notification. All submissions accepted by email.

These guidelines are subject to change and are current as of November 04, 2010.

Submissions should be addressed to Patti Shene at starsongs.mag@gmail.com.

Thank you for your interest in our publication.

Patti Shene
Executive Editor
Starsongs Magazine

13 comments:

  1. That sounds like a great idea:) Could you talk about how to get started?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stephanie, I just love what you're doing here on this blog. Congratulations, & keep up the good work. Super great job.

    This yearly writing thing is a wonderful idea. Hope you get tons of ya's to do this.
    cb
    http://sunnebnkwrtr.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. The book-in-a-year thing sounds awesome! I'd definetely need it =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, Courtney. I started planning topics this week, and we'll spend a couple weeks talking about brain storming and inspiration and stuff.

    Thank you, Caroline!

    Rachel, I need it too! I think I'll be writing a book alongside you guys, so we'll be in it together!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll be in college, but I better not be too busy to read your blog and write a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stephanie, that is an incredible idea and very appealing. How young does one have to be to join in this learning process? I'm a newbie and 72 years young. Maybe I'm not old enough.

    Sharing Christ's Love,
    Barb Shelton
    barbjan10 at tx dot rr dot com

    ReplyDelete
  7. No age discrimination here, Barb :) We'd love to have you.

    And, Mary, that's right you better not be too busy! It's educational, after all :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That sounds like a fabulous idea. I've sort of scrapped NaNo -- I did it last year, and proved to myseflf that I can get the words down. But that story went nowhere -- so now I'm just going at my own pace, and I'm looking forward to next years learning how how to write a book in the year:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good for you, Emii! I've tried NaNo, and... Well. I don't want to say it'll never happen, but I don't think it works for me. Particularly at the two-kids-under-3 stage of life that I'm in.

    Nothing wrong with going at your own pace!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I actually tried out One Year Adventure Novel once... I actually never finished it. It was difficult to come up with ideas when I need to heh...
    but its fun! =D

    This sounds like a great idea btw :) (stephanie's blog post)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds fantastic! I would love to do this :) Would you talk about how to "make" time to write? I teach 2-4 grades Mon-Thurs. and then work at another job Friday and Saturday... Church on Sunday... so... as you can see I have no time. (And I am 18 by the way, Roseanna might have talked to you about who I am, but just in case, here's abit about how I happened on here: Roseanna contacted me last Thanksgiving about a comment that I had left on Caroline's (sunnybankmeanderings)blog, about wanting to write a book. I actually was planning on writing a book in the women's fiction genre and had sent several excerpts to Roseanna to "critique" then I changed and decided to go with the middle grade genre. I have a story line, characters, names, setting, and so on.... Anyway, Roseanna told me about this blog and about you since she said you could help me more with the middle grade genre than she could. I love your blogs and am anxious to learn even more from you. (If you want to know abit more about me, my blog is : www.chocolatecontemplations.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. You're one busy girl, Holly!

    That's an excellent topic to cover. I'll add it to the list. Thanks for the suggestion!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can't wait to start this and finish my book! Thank you for doing this!

    ReplyDelete

Disagreement is welcome. Rudeness is not. Please be considerate of each other!