Thursday, December 23, 2010

One more thought on staying motivated in writing

On Tuesday when I talked about staying motivated with writing, or regaining motivation, something I mentioned was replenishing your inner artist. Something I do to replenish my inner artist is this: I wroodle.

Oh man, this post is going to aggravate my spell-checker.

Wroodling is something you've likely done, you just don't know you've done it.

I've never been an artist, but I imagine that even great artists tend to doodle at times. It's not something they envision being a great work of art, but the piece of paper is there, and they feel like drawing, so they doodle.

Wroodling is doodling for writers. Sometimes I wroodle little scenes that are in my head. They're not part of my current project, they may never be part of anything, but they're in my head and I'd like to get them down. So I write them.

Or sometimes I have a whole story idea I want to wroodle. Actually, on Sundays - the day that I've set aside for relaxing - I'm wroodling a book that I'm pretty sure there's no market for. Even if there was, it's not my genre. But it's fun to write and doesn't feel like work. It's wroodling.

I find wroodling replenishes me, and sometimes it even spurs great ideas.

Hope everyone has a wonderful Christmas. See you back here on Tuesday!

Have a writing question? E-mail me!

9 comments:

  1. Great advice :) I like to take little breaks like you described but I never had a word for it - wroodle is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! The other night I decided to "wroodle" after spending many long hours going through the editing process of my manuscript. It really does help replenish your inner writer and gain some motivation/inspiration.

    Thanks for posting this. =)

    Tessa

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. I've been reading through old posts & you are a great teacher! You make is sound like a career as a writer is totally possible for all of us :)

    2. Like you said in your reply to my last comment- I tend towards being over critical I think. Especially if you ask my mom! I think that's a big barrier for me in writing. And wroodling, I've thought about it & the reason I don't is because when I do I cant get over the fact that I'm not good at drawing. 2011- must. Learn. To. Let. Go. Of. Perfectionism.

    3. I think you said in the comment of the last post that it's just to write scene or ideas whether big or small. You think even though I'm having a hard time writing a straight story maybe the different scenes of my different ideas as they come could be helpful? At least they'll make room in my brain for other scenes & maybe I'll be able to piece them together like a puzzle!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I love this new word! I have scenes in my head like that, but I am timid about writing them down when they have nothing to do with anything. You have inspired me to write some of them down!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this post. I wroodle too. Just didn't know what to call it. And then I take a pad I've been wroodling on and type it into a document. A lot of phrases that wouldn't make sense to anyone but me. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, write it all down!

    I like Julie's suggestion of collecting it all in one place, then later typing it up. You just never know when all those scenes will start to make sense.

    ReplyDelete
  7. And Tonya, I tried the "mosaic form" of novel writing before. It was semi-successful, I'd say. Hard to say how much of the problem with the manuscript was the sucky idea, and how much was the non-linear style of putting it together.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think this is why I like nanowrimo. It forces me to wroodle! Once this year I had writer's block and took a prompt. I wrote about 100 words about my character's socks, then another 100 about her bedroom walls! It actually fit into the story well, and surprisingly, may not be deleted entirely during revision.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haha, that's cool as, Jordan! Sounds like an unusually entertaining story:P
    Merry Christmas, Steph and everyone!!!:)

    ReplyDelete

Disagreement is welcome. Rudeness is not. Please be considerate of each other!