Monday, January 17, 2011

With a name like his...



With a name like his, there was no hope of going unnoticed.

That's our writing prompt for this round.

Again, think of this as the opening line of a novel. Your job is to write the next 100 words as if they're the opening paragraph. And it's the next 100 words. The prompt sentence never counts toward your word count.

After you've written your 100 words, please e-mail them to me. Make sure to include your full name and e-mail address. Send me your prompt by Monday, January 24th at 11:59 pm Kansas City time.

For a longer explanation and a list of answered questions, click here.

The winners from last time are now up under the "2011 Contest Winners" tabby thing. They've been wonderful about sharing their 100 words, so take a look at those when you get a chance.

This round's judges are:

Christa's debut novel, WALKING ON BROKEN GLASS, released in February 2010 from Abingdon Press. She's also contributed to Chicken Soup for the Coffee Lover's Soul, Chicken Soup for the Recovering and Divorced Soul, The Ultimate Teacher, and Cup of Comfort for Special Needs. She writes a monthly column for two ezines: Afictionado, the ezine for American Christian Fiction Writers, and for Exemplify.


Diana Sharples is the former editor of an online speculative fiction magazine, Electric Wine, (no longer in publication) and currently moderates a critique group for Christian YA authors. She was a double-finalist in the 2009 ACFW Genesis competition, and won the 2010 MORWA Gateway award for her Contemporary YA novel, Running Lean. Diana lives in Georgia with her husband and daughter and a house full of rescued pets, and can often be found riding her motorcycle around the north Georgia mountains.







Rosemarie DiCristo
Rosemarie DiCristo writes fiction for children and teens and is currently working on a girls' mystery novel. She's had short stories and recipes published in magazines like Pockets, Encounter, Shine Brightly, and Brio.

10 comments:

  1. Oohhh... there is so many things I could do with that writing prompt!! Eeh!! I'm so excited! =D
    I can't wait to get started!
    Thank you so much for doing this Stephanie!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear! I was thinking I had to write the entire story in 100 words (not an easy thing)! :) Oopsidaisy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're welcome, Jazmine! Thought it'd be fun to get to pull out our weird names :)

    Talia, it's a learning experience for us all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow these are fun Stephanie! This one was really fun to write!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can I change the prompt at all? Specifically, can I start my story "With a name like hers there was no hope of going unnoticed..." and can I end that with a coma and add some words to the sentence?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can tell I'm such a yes-girl, because I really want to tell you yes, Jordan.

    But I'm saying no for two reasons:

    1. If I start allowing changes, it's hard to know where to draw the line.

    2. If everyone wants to tweak the prompt to his/her idea, the problem is we lose an element of the apples-to-apples comparison.

    Does that make sense?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Totally makes sense!

    You know what's crazy, is I was reading it "this" instead of "his"... Don't know where I got that from! And, of course, I was having trouble making that work. I can't wait to start writing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, great writing prompt! Still brainstorming for what I can do with this, though! lol

    ~ Katy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks again for doing this!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. thanks again for doing this!!! i love it! cant wait to see the results!

    ReplyDelete

Disagreement is welcome. Rudeness is not. Please be considerate of each other!