Friday, April 15, 2011

Keeping a Calendar


Something I keep handy while writing my first draft - something I can't believe I've forgotten to mention - is a blank calendar. This is something I decided to do after my editor pointed out some serious continuity issues with Me, Just Different. And it's so easy to keep a blank calendar that I continue to be embarrassed about how long I wrote without one.

The one I have is completely blank so I can fill it out as desired. I like having it on paper (as opposed to on the computer) because I like pinning it on my bulletin board. This is the template I use. You can also create custom calendars here at TimeandDate.com, or here. Here's a picture of mine all filled out:



As you can see, I'm pretty basic about the info I include. The calendar is just for you, so there's no need to get fancy with it.

Since I write contemporary fiction, the year I choose doesn't really matter. I never specify what year it is because I don't want to "date" my story. I usually just use whatever year we're really in. The only time that gets tricky is when Valentine's Day or some other holiday falls on a weekend when it would be better for me if it were a weekday.

I'd love to hear how you guys keep track of dates when writing. Especially if you're a historical writer, where you're balancing real-life events as well as story events.

Next week we're going to be talking about scenes - writing scenes, what makes a good scene, etc. We're also going to talk (either next week or the week after) about the different genres and manuscript lengths. As always, if you have a question or topic you'd like to see covered, shoot me an email.

Have a great weekend everyone!

6 comments:

  1. When I write a story that spans years, and when specific dates aren't known, only years, I don't use calendars, just keep a list of months of importance.

    But for my 1783-4 story, I printed out these blanks and filled them in for the five months I needed. I used one color to put in the historical events of significance, another color for my heroine's movements, and a third for my hero. I like to make major plot points revolve around the history, so some days were filled with all three colors, others with nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I write fantasy-ish stuff so I just keep track of seasons mostly and make sure that Summer doesn't come right after Fall!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use a calendar to keep dates in order. I google say, December, 1885, then cut and paste that calendar into my synopsis/style sheet document so while I'm plotting, I can keep track of what day of the week it is, especially if there is a holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thats actually something I've never considered before... I think I might need to get a calendar like that for editing one of my books. lol. Bad timing stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do something similar. I make a list of all of the major events that I want to happen. Then I put on my calendar approximately when I want to be done with these points. I also made a simple blank grid with the same amount of squares as I assumed I would have typed pages and at the end of every day I would put a stamp in each box for every page I'd completed.

    <3 Gina Blechman

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gina, I like that idea lot. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Disagreement is welcome but rudeness is not. We ask that you please be considerate of each other. If we find your comment mean-spirited or inconsiderate, we reserve the right to remove it from our website.