Thursday, January 12, 2012

Contest Announcement and News Day

I'm currently sitting in the lobby of a surgery center waiting for my husband's procedure to get underway. It's minor, routine surgery that will help him breathe through his nose better ... but it still means very sharp objects near his eyes and brain. Both of which I happen to like. So I'm a wee bit nervous...

Let's focus on happy stuff. Like:

Emily Rachelle: I finally worked through a very sticky, somewhat boring, and slightly info-dump scene in my WIP.  This particular scene put the whole project on hold for a couple of weeks.  It's not anywhere near good enough for the book, but of course, that's not the point of first drafts ;)  On another note, I then got to write one of my fave scenes in the same WIP! A very sweet reward for getting through the sticky parts, if you ask me.

Indeed! Congratulations on pushing through that tough part.

Don't forget your writing prompt entries are due next Wednesday. And if you missed it yesterday, Betsy St. Amant was here giving us a peek at her writing process and giving away a copy of her latest release, Addison Blakely: Confessions of a PK. There's still time to get entered for that.

Also, I saw on Tuesday that Novel Rocket has opened their contest for unpublished writers. Novel Rocket (once Novel Journey) has been featured three times in Writers Digest's Top 101 Websites for writers and are a really great source for published and unpublished writers alike. There is an entry fee, $35, but every writer who enters receives a professional critique of their chapters so it's a good investment. If you're at the place where you're starting to wonder, "How does my writing compare to others who also want to be published?" a contest like this is a great place to start. You can find more details on their site.

10 comments:

  1. Hope the procedure goes well!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tip Stephanie and I'll be praying all goes well! Congrats to Emily Rachelle! And the fun things are the rewards I give myself after something hard or unpleasant:) Sierra
    Keep Growing Beautiful♥ (Cause You Are!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, girls! Eyes and brain both still intact :) It's been kind of a crazy day, but everyone (except me) is asleep now, so that's good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's good that it's only minor. I finally feel like I got a break today and I could write for once (I mean write for fun instead of the English essay, history paper, and 'what I learned in math' paragraph that I should have been doing).

    Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad all went well!
    Did you happen to get my entry, Steph?:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will be praying for your husband, you, and your/his family. I hope all went and will go well in the future!

    Waiting for the contest results is TOTURE! I can't wait till you get the results.

    God is good, all the time.

    ~Marit

    ReplyDelete
  7. Did you mean "dislike" when you said "like"? (Near the top of the post). Just wondering :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi,

    I'm just wondering if that " novel rocket" competition has a word limit?

    P.S I hope everything goes well with your husband :)

    thanks

    ReplyDelete
  9. Emii, I see it in my inbox. I try to verify that the word count is correct and that you used the prompt sentence correctly before I send my confirmation email. Because it's embarrassing when I have to send an email saying, "Hey, I know I told you that you were good to go, but I just noticed..."

    Sananora, lol. I was referring to his brain and his eyes both being things that I like. But the phrasing could certainly use some clarifying. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous, here's what I saw on their site:

    Prepare a one- to two-page synopsis for each entry, along with the first chapter (or the first 3,000 – 4,000 words). A prologue plus first chapter is acceptable. The first two chapters is an acceptable submission as long as the whole excerpt doesn't exceed about 4,000 words. The judges are more concerned with getting a good sample of the writer’s work than they are with word count.

    And thank you! He's pretty uncomfortable at the moment, but should be getting better soon.

    ReplyDelete

Disagreement is welcome but rudeness is not. We ask that you please be considerate of each other. If we find your comment mean-spirited or inconsiderate, we reserve the right to remove it from our website.