Monday, April 9, 2012

Teen Writing Contest : This is not what I expected.


The prompt for this round is This is not what I expected.

Your word limit this round is 106 words (100 words + the prompt sentence).


The prompt sentence can go anywhere - first line, last line, third line, whatever. But make sure you don't change any of the words.

Think of your 106 words as the opening of a novel. Your goal is to draw the reader in, same as you would want to be drawn in if you were picking up a book.

Your entries are due on Monday, April 16th by 11:59pm Kansas City time. You may email it to me by clicking here or at Stephanie(at)GoTeenWriters.com - no attachments please! Include your name as you would like it to appear on the website.

And I always send confirmation emails, so if it's been 48 hours and you haven't heard from me, feel free to check back.

The contest is for those age 21 and under. One entry per person please.

For more details about Go Teen Writers' contests and a sample winning prompt, click here. There's also a winning entry from last round below the information about this round's judges.

Your wonderful judges this round are Tiffany Rott and Laura L. Smith. If you plan on entering this round, feel free to leave a comment below telling these lovely ladies thank you.

Tiffany Rott is enjoying her first year “Down Under” in Christchurch, New Zealand.  She first discovered writing in a college scriptwriting class.  Since then she has written, performed and directed over 20 scripts.  From there she moved on to writing book reviews for her church’s newsletter.  Novel writing began during her first National Novel Writing Month.  So now her life if full of various writings and she is enjoying every minute of it.  When not writing, she loves ice skating and is working towards completing her first assessment soon.




Laura L. Smith is an author and speaker addressing tough issues for young women such as eating disorders - Skinny, sex and dating - Hot, and divorce - Angry. She strives to give a voice to those who find it too difficult to discuss their situations. Her goal in writing and speaking is to show light at the end of every dark tunnel in the form of the unconditional love of Jesus.


Also, Here's a winning entry for last round by Alison Schneider that I wasn't able to post last Thursday with the others from the "so-and-so was the type of person who..." prompt. Alison placed second and third:


John was the type of husband who just didn’t try. Didn’t try to match his socks. Didn’t try to eat healthy. Didn’t try to excel. Didn’t try to fix his messed-up life. Didn’t even try to live. But what didn’t for him did for me. I guess you could call me his better half. Emphasis on better. John didn’t, so I did. I matched the socks. I ate healthy. I tried to fix our messed-up life. But when it came time for him to die…I followed his example. For the first time, I followed my husband’s example; I didn’t. I let him die. Now I wish I hadn’t.

The judges say: Beautiful and intriguing both!/Thanks to sparse, staccato description, I can picture this husband and wife so well and can't help wondering how it all went so very wrong. Why didn't he try? What did she try? These are questions I'd be more than willing to get to the bottom of.

Can't wait to see what you guys come up with!

39 comments:

  1. I've just finished entering! Also, thank you to the judges for making this great opportunity possible. Stephanie too! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait! I love the prompt- gives me a lot of ideas! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Spring Break is an awesome time to write!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have something to work on over spring break!!!! One question: I was looking over the contest rules, and it doesn't say anything about whether the characters have to be original or not. Are fanfics allowed, or do you prefer that we use our own characters? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm. That's never come up before.

      I'm not a judge, but my guess is that you would have more like with original characters. Like, it would totally distract me if your characters were Katniss and Peeta.

      So ... I'm not gonna outright forbid borrowing characters, but I don't think it would help for your entry to feel anything other than original. Does that make sense?

      Delete
  5. Ooh. Looks exciting! Just may have to find time to join in this time! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, do. I adored your entries that I read! Of course ... you won them ... so that kind of bumps my chances down ... but they're so legendary I think it's worth it! :)

      Delete
  6. Lydia Grace HartApril 9, 2012 at 3:33 PM

    Way to get our minds reeling! I both love and hate the ability to put the prompt anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great prompt. I have several ideas...now which one to use... Thanks to the judges and Stephanie :) Sierra
    Keep Growing Beautiful♥ (Because You Are!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was just writing a paragraph of my own when I saw this contest up, and I was quite fortunate to have the prompt exactly fit my writing! I edited and worked away at it, and I'm so excited to have entered!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yippe! I'm going to get started soon! Many thanks to Miss Stephanie and the judges.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks so much Tiffany and Laura!! We really appreciate the time and effort you put into judging!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Does it have to be the beginning of a novel? Could it be, say, the beginning of a chapter? Or does it just have to read like the beginning of a novel? Thanks so much for organizing these contests, Stephanie, and thank you judges for taking the time to do this! It really means a lot to us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just needs to read like the beginning of a story, would be a better way to put it, I suppose :) The point is that it's not supposed to be a complete story within 100 words.

      Delete
    2. Ok, got it. Thanks!

      Delete
    3. Oftentimes, I can be working on a chapter and then one of these prompt sentences can inspire the beginning and I know exactly where to run with it. Love it when that happens!

      Delete
  12. What a great prompt! Quick question: Does it have to be from an actual WIP, or can it be any old random thing that pops into our heads, providing it works like the opening of a novel? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In short, any old random thing is great :) But it should read like a story, of course. So it should read like something you, the writer, feel invested in. If that makes sense.

      Delete
    2. Yes, thank you!

      Delete
  13. Cool! I'm excited! :D

    Quick question -

    Can I add to the beginning or end of the prompt sentence.
    Such as-

    All I can say is, this is not what I expected.

    -or-

    This is not what I expected, not what I expected at all.

    Thanks! It seems like a fun prompt!


    Thank you so much judges! :D For putting your time aside. We appreciate your comments on our entries.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Can it be "This isn't what I expected"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, everything needs to stay exactly the same this time :)

      Delete
  15. I just sent in my entry! I'm so excited to be participating for the first time. :) Thank you so much to Stephanie for hosting - and to Laura and Tiffany for taking the time to read and judge our entries!

    Hugs!
    Taylor Lynn <3

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm pumped, just entered! Thanks Judges and Stephanie!

    Oh, one note. I signed my email Lizzy. Could I change that to Lizzy Grace? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  17. YES! New writing contest! Thank you so much, lovely real-life-authors. :D

    ReplyDelete
  18. I entered as soon as I saw the prompt...it was an excellent prompt! Really made you think up some great ideas :) Thank you for doing these contests.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I wrote up two prompts, any ideas how I can choose the better one? I'm really stuck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I wrote three. I chose the one that I thought would have the most emotional impact, I'm not really sure if that helps...

      Delete
    2. Actually it does, thanks! I had a more serious one, and one that was nutty/funny. I think the higher stake one is better.

      Delete
  20. I'm just writing my response now. I know that we can't change any of the words in the prompt but I was wondering if we can add words to the prompt, such as "This is not what I had expected." or "This is definitely not what I expected."?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can add words after the prompt (This is not what I expected at all) but not IN the prompt. It gets too tricky to draw the line. Why not two words? Or four?

      I'm glad you asked!

      Delete
  21. I sent my entry on the 16th to Stephanie@GoTeenWriters.com, but I never got a response. So I tried again, and it still didn't work... is that the right email? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm confused... I signed up for emails and they never came, and I tried to figure out where the prompts are and when were supposed to turn them in... i'm lost...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This contest closed over two years ago. That's probably why :)

      Delete

Home