Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Take the Challenge - 100 words for 100 Days

by Stephanie Morrill



Many of you have been asking when you can start signing up for the 100 for 100 challenge, and today's the day! For those of you who are new to Go Teen Writers, we did this challenge last September, and it was quite popular.

Here's how it works.

1. You pick a project you want to make progress on. It could be the novel you're already working on, it could be nonfiction, it could be a new book you want to start, whatever you want.

2. You pledge to write 100 words everyday for the next 100 days beginning February 1st.

3. You write the words and occasionally you log on to a spreadsheet to type in your word amount.

That's it.

This challenge works so well because 100 words take very little time to write. Maybe ten or fifteen minutes. And yet if you participate in the 100 for 100 challenge, you'll have at least 10,000 words written by May 11th. Pretty great, right?

Here are the writing challenge guidelines:


The challenge will begin Friday, February 1st. That means you have between now and next Friday, February 1st to decide if you want in. No exceptions - if you don't sign up by the end of Friday the 1st, you can't participate.

The idea is for it to be a gradual trickle of words, not a geyser of them, so you must write 100 words every day for it to count. You can't write 10k on March 4th and call it good.

There is 1 "grace day" per week, meaning if you miss 1 day a week, that's okay, but you still must have 700 words completed by the end of the week. (Of course, this is done on the honor system. If you have 700+ words logged for the week, you won't be getting emails from me asking how many days you spent writing those.)

There is also one "grace week" per contest because life happens. So if during finals week you only write 500 words (or no words) you're still eligible for completing the challenge.

The words should all be for one book, not spread out over a variety of stories. The exception is if you finish a book.

Writers of all ages are welcome to join us. Last time we had lots of fun competing between the age groups and seeing who had the most participants versus who wrote the most words. (Here are the results from last time, if you're curious.)

Here are some questions you might have:

Can I write more than 100 words per day?

Absolutely. You can write 4,000 words on Monday and 103 words on Tuesday and 2,000 words on Wednesday, etc. It just has to be at least 100 words for 100 days.

When the challenge is over, do I send you my story?

No. All I need to know is how many words you wrote.


Are there prizes?

Everyone who completes the challenge is entered to win a 10,000 word critique. A few of us have books releasing in the next couple months, so I imagine we'll have some other items to give away as well...

What happens if I sign up, but then decide I don't want to do it anymore?

You let me know, and I take you off the list. 


Last time we had about 250 writers sign up, and 80+ completed. Here's what a few of them had to say about the experience:

I love the 100-4-100 Challenge. It's easy and fun, and barely any stress. It helped me reach the beginning of the end for my novel. I will always try to participate in the 100-4-100. - Katelyn


For a long time I’d been trying to write something every day, and the 100/100 challenge got me in the habit of doing that. Even during NaNoWriMo, when I was writing a completely different WIP, it was easy to keep up with 100/100, because lets face it, one hundred words aren’t a lot!
Even now, over a month after the first 100/100 challenge ‘ended’ I haven’t stopped, and I don’t plan on stopping any time soon. Seriously, y’all, it’s a great idea!  - Aidyl

The 100-4-100 challenge was great for me. Sometimes I have the problem of not writing, sometimes for several days at a time. But the 100 challenge, for lack of a better word, forced me to write. And nothing would have been better for me. I wrote enough words to grow near completion of my novel, and even now, I make myself write something every day, even if it's just a few words. And it's all thanks to the 100-4-100 challenge. I'm ready for round two! - Bethany



79 comments:

  1. Whooo! Sounds cool!

    I'm still going to have to think about this, though, because while I loved the 100 for 100 last time--it made me keep writing, which was awesome, but also...it meant I kept writing even when I had no plot. And then, I had to restart my whole novel afterwards, because I had no time to come up with a plot. :P

    So...yeah. Loved it, but I want to make sure I'll have time to take a couple days off writing and sort out where my book is going without feeling like, "Ahhh! I need to keep writing!"

    If that makes any sense. xD

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have my 16th birthday on May 6th, so I put myself in the 16-18 category. Hope that's all right. :)

    I'm so excited for this challenge! I've been procrastinating on starting my next novel...this'll be a good way to get going.

    Cheers, everybody!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Because of NaNo, I couldn't finish last time, but I'm really excited for this year.
    ~Sarah Faulkner

    www.inklinedwriters.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I turn 16 at the end of March. Which age category do I enter myself in?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so excited!! Whoo whoo!

    Last time, a couple times due to the hectic way my life was going, I had to skip two days, and make up for it on the third. This time, I'm going to do my best to write every day! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I struggled with it too, Bethany. This one is happening at a much more convenient time for me :)

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay! I just signed up. Really excited to try this! My problem is I'll write say, 1,000 words one day and then just not write for two weeks. :P

    ReplyDelete
  8. I signed up, but I don't know if I'll actually have much to write. I hope to finish my WIP by Febuary 20th (and I think I'll make that goal!), and I'm not going to be able to start OYAN until summer. So... it doesn't look like I will even HAVE a novel for most of 100-4-100. Oh, well, I can write a hundred words of fanfiction every day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great plan, Lydia! Any chance you're coming to the OYAN workshop this summer? Jill and I are teaching and would love to see you there :)

      Delete
  9. Oooh! I’m excited about this second 100/100 challenge. Thanks for all the work you do on this, Stephanie. =)

    ReplyDelete
  10. So, so, SO excited to participate this time!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. So happy this is back!!!!! I love this contest and it really helped me to buckle up and start writing every day :) Or nearly every day anyway. Thank you so much for doing this Ms.Stephanie :) Sierra
    Keep growing beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, Sierra! So glad you're joining us again :)

      Delete
  12. WOOHOO!! The 100-4-100 helped me SO MUCH last time!! There is NO WAY I would have gotten as far in my novel as I have without it. So excited for this round!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. So, to make sure I'm not breaking rules here, the whole "finished book" exception to the one-story rule means this works:

    1. I sign up for 100-4-100 with the intention of finishing 2012's NaNo, Beila and the Griffin, which is currently a little over 30K words.

    2. I finish Beila and the Griffin before the 100-4-100 contest ends.

    3. I start my next story, Kaimalie and the Mermaid, and continue the 100-4-100 and it still counts and all.

    Yes?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Can't wait for this! Ten thousand words actually doesn't seem that much when you talk as much as I do . . . I really hope, though, that those 10,000 get me much closer to the end of my novel! Thanks for doing this--hopefully it will keep me inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yay, so glad this is back! I'm about to start a new novel so this is awesome timing! Looking forwards to February 1st now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, good, Imogen! You can beat up on all of us again.... ;)

      Delete
  16. I want to...but when I write it's usually in staggering heaps (like 20k a week) or just zero for days. I kind of feel like it's showing off to write that much and log it in. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, Cait. I don't think it's showing off at all. We all write at different speeds and are at different writing seasons.

      Delete
  17. Okay! This is going to be a lot easier for me this time since I can work on the project I've already started...When does it end? (sorry...I should probably be calculating this on my own :P )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. May 11th, if my feeble math can be trusted :)

      Delete
    2. okay got it! (: What if I finish my story before May 11th?...

      Delete
  18. I'd love to participate in the challenge (I'm sure it would be wonderful for writing skills!), but I have one problem: I don't have a novel in progress at the moment (I'm taking a much-needed break from novelling right now), so would I be able to count my journal for this? I'm terrible at journaling (although I'd love to learn how to do it better!), so maybe this would help me to actually get some journaling done.

    The next few months will be fairly busy, so I really don't want to have yet another big project going. Several things will be happening that I'll want to journal (including flying half-way around the world to spend three week's time with friends and family!), so this might be a way I can get it done.

    Would that be breaking the rules?

    Thanks for all the encouragement to writers you've given over the past few years!

    ~Esther Rose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Journaling certainly counts, Esther Rose! Great question :)

      Delete
    2. Oh, good! Thanks so much! :)

      ~Esther

      Delete
  19. Very interested in this, just two quick questions. Are plays/screenplays allowed? If so, would you just count dialogue toward word count, or dialogue and directions? I'm assuming character tags/scene headings don't count...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the same question. With my current WIP I'm doing the first draft as a script, because it's easier for me to edit the pacing and scenes when it's in that form. Am I able to do the 100-4-100? If so, what counts?

      I didn't get to finish the last 100-4-100 because finals got in the way, so I'd really like to give it a proper go this time when I don't have so much on.

      Delete
    2. Plays and screenplays are certainly allowed. It seems like it would be a huge pain to have to remove character tags and such, so I say count it all.

      Delete
    3. Thanks Ms. Morrill!

      Delete
    4. Alright, thank you!

      Delete
  20. I have the same problem as Esther Rose...my most recent work has been finished since August. I've been writing a smattering of beginnings that don't seem to lead anywhere no matter how many ways I try, and I have a fanfiction going (the only successful writing I've had lately). When I do have time between school, I really love writing, so I miss having a WIP so much. I'd better get it together before 100-4-100 because I definitely want to participate this time around! Thank you Stephanie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kaitlin, we'd love to have you whether it's for fanfiction or a WIP or some of both :)

      Delete
  21. For this challenge is it okay to work on other books, short stories, and Poems? And not add it with the words for our books.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This sounds so awesome! I'm psyched. Plus, during that time, I'm going to start the Year of Writing Continuously, which I'm super excited about. I've been writing every day to prep for my daily goal of 500 per day for a year. It'll be great to have the support and encouragement here though too. Thanks so much! Seriously, your posts and contests and stuff just make my day. So, thanks for being awesome and helping all of us on here. I totally appreciate it. :)
    -Katia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! That Year of Continuos Writing sounds like a challenge :) I would never be able to do anything like that. So now I *officially* admire you :)

      Delete
    2. Wow, Katia! That's a serious goal. Good for you!

      Delete
  23. I am so excited about this!! Can't wait for February 1st

    ReplyDelete
  24. Looks cool. I did the previous 100 for 100, and it was great to see my progress and be able to share it with others doing the same challenge. As my blog is about challenges, i'm always interested in a new challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you'll be joining us again, Deborah!

      Delete
  25. I signed up! I can't wait to participate!!

    http://the-writing-junkie.blogspot.com/
    I write, read and review books. I like publicizing authors and their stories.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Yay!
    I was planning to start my new novel on febuary 1st

    ReplyDelete
  27. ~o.o this is the first time I`m seeing this challenge! Looks awesome! *joins* yay! ^^

    ReplyDelete
  28. Signed up! I was so glad to see this challenge again. I've been having trouble being consistent with writing, so this will be a great way to fix that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michaela, the accountability is an awesome motivator! So glad you're joining us.

      Delete
  29. This sounds lovely! Exactly the push I need to get writing again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Can't wait to start. I'm going to unearth one of my old ideas and let loose. :)

    www.charlieandmewrite.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. I hate to be a bother, but were we supposed to get a confirmation email when we signed up?
    By the way, I love this. It really keeps me on track.
    Thanks.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a bother at all! I have an email going out to everyone on Thursday.

      Delete
    2. Awesome! Thanks!

      Delete
  32. This is the first time that I am joining and I plan on journaling (I hope that's ok) as I haven't started writing/given thought to writing just yet. I am looking forward to doing this.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Replies
    1. You'll receive an email from me tomorrow with the tracking spreadsheet, Raquel!

      Delete
  34. I signed up a few minutes ago. Was I supposed to recieve a confirmation email?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, but you'll receive an email from me tomorrow with the tracking spreadsheet.

      Delete

Disagreement is welcome but rudeness is not. We ask that you please be considerate of each other. If we find your comment mean-spirited or inconsiderate, we reserve the right to remove it from our website.